Skip to content Skip to navigation
See our Campus Ready site for the most up to date information about instruction.Campus ReadyCOVID Help

Additional Information

Policies and Procedures 

To Apply

MBSE encourages applications from all students interested in graduate study towards Ph.D. or M.S. degrees in this exciting multidisciplinary area. Applications are invited from students with undergraduate degrees from any relevant discipline, including the life sciences, the physical sciences, engineering and mathematics. An essential part of the admission process is to find a good match between the interests of the prospective student and MBSE faculty member's research area, so we encourage interested students to begin the application process by contacting the MBSE chair or any MBSE faculty whose research interests them.

We encourage all students to take the GRE general test. Applicants who are not native English speakers should go to the UC Merced Graduate Division website to see additional application requirements.

The admissions committee will make its decisions based on a comprehensive review of undergraduate coursework and GPA, GRE scores, research experience and recommendations in reaching a decision on admission. The deadline for receipt of applications is January 15, but screening of applications will begin December 15. Normally, applications will be accepted for fall semester only, enrollment in other semesters will be considered on an individual basis, with applications due no later than seven months prior to the beginning of the semester when the student would like to begin graduate studies.

For more information on the application process, or to submit an online application, please see the UC Merced Graduate Division website. US domestic students may qualify for a waiver of an application fee. If you are a domestic student, please be sure to inquire about this.


All students pursuing Ph.D. degrees in the MBSE emphasis generally receive a full tuition and fees waiver as well as a stipend for the duration of study in the form of teaching and/or research assistantships as long as they are in residence and maintain adequate progress toward the degree. Stipends and fee waivers may be provided for M.S. degree students on a case-by-case basis.